Monday, April 16, 2007

anti-epidural rant




first let me say I am looking this gift horse directly in the mouth. That 3 hours sleep I got after was pretty nice. BUT
a
Epidurals are the portal to a long and ugly path of superfluous medical intervention. They don't tell you that:

They will give you liters and liters of fluid to prevent a sudden drop in blood pressure, which will dilute the oxytocin your body is so diligently putting out to cause contractions and dilation.

This dilution will cause your contractions to slow, from 2 minutes apart and effective to 6 minutes apart and useless.

Then they will have to start pitocin.

Then, if you're unlucky, they will have to up and up and up the pitocin and if that doesn't work...

It's the operating room. And my doc doesn't VBAC.

mmm mmm mmm.

AND, it doesn't help to have the nurses telling you, "it's only going to get worse". I can think of two things worse to say to a woman in transition, but only two. And one of them involves fatality.

Anyway, Max and I went for a long walk today, but now it's cooling off and we should get back inside.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

I cannot believe that the nurses where so insensitive..."it's only going to get worse"...I would have slapped whoever said that...argh...

PS. Max's cheeks are sooo pinchable...

Jon and Kate said...

I love him. But part of me wishes he had popped out with an afro.